Wednesday 17 September 2014

My First Store-Bought Seed - Red Garden Balsam

My Garden Balsam as of 17 September 2014

I had no idea about this plant when I bought this packet of seeds. I just wanted to get seeds to start with. 

I bought it for RM2.00 (USD 0.62). If you'll look closely, the packet says it has 20 seeds. I counted it, and it has more than that. It also says (behind the packet) that it is easy to plant, and it loves the sun. So, off to the cashier, I bought it without hesitation. 

When I got home, I checked it online, and wasn't impressed by it. I was a little bit disappointed. I mean, look at the picture, they look like beautiful, red roses. But in reality, they really are not.... sorry balsam-lovers! But anyway, at least I still have some seeds to start with. Still, they are not that awful, I guess.

I sowed the seeds in the early evening of 28 August 2014. I just simply filled my small pot with soil, scattered 10 little, dark brown seeds, covered it with soil, then watered it. DONE!

I sprayed them with water everyday (of course), but kept them under the shade.

Red Garden Balsam Seeds for RM2.00 (USD 0.62)


After 7 days, seedlings started to grow (hooray!!) 5 seedlings to be exact. I wasn't able to take pictures then. But, below are the pictures on day13 (10 September 2014).

Seedlings on 10 September 2014

Red Garden Balsam on 10 September 2014

Seedlings after 13 days

I sowed the seeds in a really tiny pot. The seedlings are slowly growing, and I thought each seedling needs a bigger space to grow, as they were really close to each other.  So today, after 20 days, I decided to transplant them.

Seedlings on day 20


The leaves look healthy

The pot is really too small for them, so I decided to transfer them to a bigger one.


Transplanting my seedlings from that tiny pot
(By the way, this is not their final home)


I carefully (definitely stressing the word "carefully") separated them from each other.

Then re-planted them. I just made sure that all the roots are buried under the soil. That simple.

Bigger space to grow

It's a good feeling to see them growing everyday

Make sure to water them after planting

Just like what I've said in my previous (first) blog, if I managed to succeed, you surely will, too. It'll still be a long wait for my first gems to grow bigger and produce flowers, but being able to see those seeds turn into these beautiful seedlings is surely fulfilling. 



That's all for my Red Garden Balsams, for now. I will keep you posted! ;)

Thank you for reading! ^_^






2 comments:

  1. Hi Feyth
    Welcome to the world of gardening! Glad to know another fellow gardener.
    I have fond memories of Balsam plants, it was one of the most common plants that can be found in my kampung as I was growing up, and my late mother used to plant these, with double petals and various colours. Very lovely flowers indeed. I thought of planting some of these plants too, as they are quite easy to grow. I need to organize my pots first!
    Good luck with your balsam, hope the plants would give you dozens of beautiful flowers!
    Thank you for stopping by my garden blog. Hope to see you again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, they are indeed very easy to grow. Thanks for dropping by. And thanks to lovely people like you who inspire me to not only start gardening, but also to share my experiences with others. Looking forward to your upcoming updates! ;)

    ReplyDelete